Monday, November 9, 2009

I push on ... life will not allow me to quit!

As I completed the 10th week of football with an ass whipping by the Hurricanes, I find my Cavaliers stumpling to a 3-6 record. This was far from what I thought the team would be at this point in the season. In fact, I have caught a serious amount of grief for my pre-season talk. However, I would not take any of it back. I stand by my belief in the Cavaliers. Unfortunately, this season has morphed into the final referendum on the Al Groh tenure. Much of the season has been spent since the William and Mary loss talking about replacement opportunities. I tried my best not to partake, because I wanted to stay behind the team and the players.

As we enter the BC week, all signs point to a continued downward spiral for the Cavaliers. But does it? Oddly, this season has been grouped in a series of 3's. We started 0-3. We then went 3-0. Then back to 0-3. So with 3 games left does it mean we got 3-0. Well, only the good Lord knows. Can we? Absolutely! We will have to find our way again. Since even the Maryland Game, our offense has been sputtering. We would need to scored at the level we did at Southern Miss and Indiana. If we performed at that level the last 3 games, our defense would most definitely do their part and 3-0 to finish the season would be plausible.

My fear is the spirit of the team has been broken. I say to the team, life does not stop for us and the last 3 games could truly show your redemptive spirit. A lot has happened to UVa football over the past 3 years since the Gator Bowl. There will likely be major changes with the team on the horizon. However, meanwhile, the perfect medicine would be a strong finish. It would give the players and coaches a since of purpose. It would catapult the team confidently into next season irregardless of the coaching situation. It would allow one to walk away with dignity as it would personify the fighting spirit.

Lastly and most importantly, it would allow a school so desperately hurting and football heart broken, to conquor VA TECH. This would be a win that could start to heal the generational rifts and start the re-building of UVa Football.

No comments:

Post a Comment